Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's finally time!!!

So here's the story of my labor and delivery... For about a week before Micah was born I was having contractions on and off. None were ever close enough to time or get excited about. It seemed like forever that the contractions were coming and going. The week that I delivered, we had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday the 11th. Dr. Farhart checked me and I was 1 cm dilated and my cervix was almost fully softened. This was a BIG change since the week before, when I had no dilation. 1 cm made me a really happy camper! Dr. Farhart told me it would probably be pretty soon that I would go into labor. The next day, Thursday, my best friend Kori and her hubby Zlatko came into town from St. Louis. We went about our regular day to day activities with them, hoping that Micah would come while they were here. On Friday evening we decided to go downtown to have dinner on the Riverwalk. My contractions were about 7-14 minutes apart and I was still pretty comfortable. After a nice long dinner, and lots of walking (for a preggo), we came back home and decided to watch a movie and then hit the sack. It was about 2 am when we finally got into bed, and my contractions seemed to be coming closer and stronger. So while lying in bed I decided to time them, with a contraction timer app on my iPhone, you can do anything with an iPhone! For about 30 minutes my contractions were about 5 minutes apart. Now, Dr. Farhart said if my contractions were 5 minutes apart for 1 hour we should head to the hospital. At about 2:40 am I felt and heard a weird pop! It was really muffled and I wasn't sure what it was. I thought to myself "this isn't suppose to happen." And all of a sudden, I felt a little trickle, that I couldn't control. I knew right then that my water had broke. So I reached over to wake James up, and when I did.....let's just say someone turned on the faucet! I nicely yelled to James to get his attention "MY WATER JUST BROKE!" I've never see the man jump out of bed so fast! Haha! He hustled to get everything in the car, that wasn't already packed in it to begin with. It took me about 30 minutes to get myself together and get downstairs to the car. My contractions hit strong and hard soon after my water broke! I could barely walk through them. So we got in the car and headed to the hospital. On the way to the hospital James was so frazzled! When we were leaving the house I had to direct him to do a few, important things like: open the garage before you start to back out, close the garage before you drive off, directions out of the neighbor hood, and of course I told him not to speed. Once we got to the hospital they had me in triage to check to make sure I was really in labor. I wasn't too happy about that pit stop! I finally got into my labor and delivery room and asked for pain meds asap! They gave me something to take the edge off, but that's all it barely did. It wore off pretty quick and I was more than ready for my epidural. My nurse was great! She hustled to get the anesthesiologist into my room before he went into back-to-back C-sections and couldn't get to me until hours later. Once I had my epidural I was A-OK! James was able to get some sleep on the couch in the room, but I couldn't sleep a wink, I was way too anxious! After 12 hours of labor, and 1 1/2 hours of pushing....Micah was finally born! It was 3:34pm on Saturday the 14th! He weighed in at 6 pounds 15 ounces and was 20 1/4 inches long! He scored an 8 and then a 9 on his APGAR test! What a perfect baby! James and I were both so overjoyed and couldn't believe we made this little guy!